Rail travel at high speed is not possible because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia.
- Dr. Dionysus Lardner (1793-1859), Professor of Natural Philosophy and Astronomy
Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
- Marshal Ferdinand Foch, French military strategist and World War I commander.
There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.
- Ken Olson, President of Digital Corporation, 1977
The Internet will catastrophically collapse in 1996.
- Robert Metcalfe, Inventor of the Ethernet
Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
- Popular Mechanics, 1949
There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now, All that remains is more and more precise measurement.
- Lord Kelvin, 1900
We have reached the limits of what is possible with computers.
- John Von Neumann, 1949
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas J. Watson Snr., IBM Chairman, 1943